Finding an Opportunity
SweatID is a Life Sciences startup based upon a wearable device for health and fitness applications. The SweatID system uses a fabric-based sensor to monitor the wearer’s hydration in real-time, enabling continuous monitoring of sweat biomarkers on the skin’s surface. Prior to engaging Porticos, the SweatID team had created a promising proof of concept prototype and was looking for a Product Engineering partner to help bring it to the next level. SweatID chose Porticos to develop their technology into a fully functional wearable device.
Understanding the Technology
The SweatID system includes three main components:
- A data transmitter PCB with a simple user interface
- A replaceable patch containing a reinforced fabric-based sensor
- A washable elastic band that can secure the device to an arm or wrist.
Overcoming Technical Challenges
Technical challenges that Porticos faced on this project included:
- Finding a desirable form factor and good user experience.
- Strengthening and protecting the fabric-based sensor.
- Protecting the electronics from water ingress and corrosion.
- Creating a sleek user interface.
- Figuring out how to integrate the disposable sweat sensor.
Leveraging the Tools
Porticos met the technical challenges with innovative engineering design:
- Generated concept art and user experience examples. Worked closely with SweatID to down select these options best-aligned with the product vision.
- Fabricated high fidelity prototype units in-house, complete with an assembly method, alignment jig, and work instructions for SweatID employees.
- Identified and integrated corrosion-resistant materials.
- Developed a sleek-looking User Interface that solved multiple problems:
- The recessed graphic nameplate is flexible, allowing for a button press through a “living hinge” in the plastic housing.
- The overlay remains transparent in select areas to reveal an indicator light.
- The adhesive backing provides a water-tight seal.
The final result of the product development effort was the successful implementation of our client’s vision, and delivery of a fully-functional unit for field testing.